Post Script to Lesson 2
Lesson 2 Vocabulary
Please drill yourself
Now, here's a couple of corny sentences that should help you to work on what the declensions mean. Try to indicate somehow which case you think each noun is in. If you post them in a comment, I can correct them for you.
A. The poet is giving the girl large roses (or is giving large roses to the girl).
B. The girls are giving the poet's roses to the sailors.
C. Without money the girls' country (or the country of the girls) is not strong.
And here's a couple of sentences to translate. (Unfamiliar vocab is in parentheses, and is not part of the vocab exercises so you don't need to worry about memorizing them unless you want to.)
1. Fama et sententia volant. (Virgil. volare to fly, move quickly)
2. Clementia tua multas vitas servat. (Cicero. clementia, -ae mercy)
3. Me philosophiae do. (Seneca.)
4. Fortunam et vitam antiquae patriae saepe laudas sed recusas. (Horace. recusare to refuse, reject)
5. Sanam formam vitae conservate. (Seneca. sana, -ae sound, sane)
6. The girls save the poet's life.
7. Without philosophy we often go astray and pay the penalty.
8. If your land is strong, nothing terrfies the sailors and you ought to praise your good fortune.
9. We often see the penalty of anger.
10. The ancient gate is large.
For now, keep in mind the general syntax rule of Subject-Object-Verb (nom-acc-verb), that adjective generally follow their nouns and modifying nouns follow their principal noun. If you can't figure it out, just use the English word order. Syntax isn't a big deal right now, so don't worry too much. However, if you ARE able to approximate those rules, go for it.
And, as always, I can take questions here, by IM, or by email. (Here is usually good sicne other people can benefit from the question you ask.)
EDIT: As someone mentioned in the comments here, I am following the basic outline of Wheelock's Latin, 6th Edition. At least for now. When I type the lessons, I am writing them from my own head. This post is the exception, and while I am still trying to find suitable online exercises, the sentences above were selected from those in Wheelock. I forgot to properly credit this when I wrote it, and for that I apologize.